Chief Operating Officer – Solon, OH
Headquartered in Solon, Ohio, Locus Fermentation Solutions is a biotech start up with patent-pending, non-bacterial biochemical solutions for industrial applications. Founded by a team with decades of experience in delivering the un-tapped benefits of microorganisms and their metabolites, our technologies are cost-competitive and environmentally friendly alternatives to harsh chemicals.
We are seeking a Chief Operating Officer to oversee the company’s technology operations from R&D and QA/QC to developing and leading the process of scale-up of lab batches to pilot and production sizes. The Chief Operating Officer will manage a team of multidisciplinary scientists exploring new technologies in microbial fermentation and will lead the development and commercialization of novel applications in industrial markets. This position will report directly to the CSO and CEO.
The ideal candidate for this position is highly motivated to work in a fast-paced, collaborative startup environment and has a demonstrated history of success in Innovation Management and Operations Leadership.
- Establish and implement a stage-gate process for all research operations, product QA/QC and the development of scalable and cost-effective fermentation processes for microbial products.
- Oversee the development of high-quality materials through fermentation for formulation, field development, and product registration.
- Establish data standardization requirements that increase efficiency in research collaboration, interpretability, reliability, analytics, and sharing of sophisticated tools and methodologies.
- Interface with multiple business units to obtain insight into their technical needs and identify opportunities to collaborate with them on new projects.
- Plan approved product development efforts and develop timelines and budgets to meet schedule and cost objectives.
- Oversee day-to-day research operations including project proposal and approval, project management, data collection, analysis, and project deliverables.
- Establish and oversee the documentation requirements for scalable fermentation processes, technology transfer, registration, and pilot-scale manufacturing.
- Oversee the internal development of new technologies including scale-up, scale-down, and process optimization experiments to aid in design of pilot and manufacturing scale production.
- Define the intellectual property strategy associated with new technology development and ensure that new product and technology developments are unique in nature and patentable.
- Work in partnership with the Chief Science Officer to drive new product ideas, patent applications, and publications.
- Drive a safety-first culture, incorporating HSE principles and GLP.
- Provide hands on leadership to research and support personnel, including goal setting, performance management, career development, training, mentoring, and guiding.
Qualified candidates will bring a minimum of 10 years’ experience in an operations or innovation management role in a biotechnology organization or similar. Candidates must possess a deep knowledge of the product development and commercialization process and ability to understand and apply novel biochemical solutions to industry problems.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience working in an operations management role in a biotechnology organization or similar with a minimum of 3 years of personnel management experience.
- PhD in Chemistry, Biology, Life Sciences, or a related field preferred.
- Extensive R&D management experience in biotechnology or related industries.
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Competitive Salary
- Company pays majority of Medical, Dental, Vision Benefits
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Free Mental Health Counseling for you and your family
- 401(k) Savings Plan with Match
- 10 Vacation Days
- 4 Extra Vacation Days
- 9 Paid Holidays
- 2 Paid Volunteer Days
- Continuing Education Assistance
- Wellness Incentives
For more information on our Company, visit our website at https://locusfs.com
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.